Since 2004, each September the United States observes National Preparedness Month to raise awareness about preparing for disasters and emergencies that can happen at any time. The first responders we work with to deliver life-saving blood pre-hospital provide the first line of defense when catastrophes strike. But everyone plays a role in disaster prevention, mitigation, preparedness, response and recovery.
This September, take time to prepare:
- Update emergency contact numbers in your phone
- Build an emergency kit for your house
- Create an evacuation plan for your family
- Practice emergency drills
- Place important documents in emergency containers
Curious about what to include in your emergency kit? Check out the Department of Homeland Security’s Ready website.